Boards and Commissions
Are You Ready to Help Dacono Thrive?
Openings: The following boards and commissions have the following openings/vacancies:
- Planning Commission – 2 openings (2 regular)
- Board of Adjustments – 1 opening (1 regular seat)
- Police Advisory Board – 1 opening
- Liquor Authority – 3 openings (2 regular seats and 1 alternate seat)
Board & Commission Overview
Qualifications: Must be at least 18 years of age and have lived in the City of Dacono for a period of at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the date of appointment.
Apply: If you are interested please pick up an application at City Hall or download it here. Applications should be submitted to: Valerie Taylor, City Clerk, Dacono City Hall, 512 Cherry Ave Building A, Dacono, CO 80514.
Interview & Selection: Applications will be accepted until 5:00 pm on Friday, December 8, 2023. City Council will hold interviews, if needed, at a date to be determined. Appointments will be made at the Council meeting on Monday, January 8, 2024.
Duties and Functions of City Boards and Commissions
The City of Dacono Charter establishes various boards and commissions. Learn more about each below:
- Planning and Zoning Commission The Planning and Zoning Commission consists of five (5) members appointed by the Council. The members shall be appointed for three (3) year overlapping terms.
- The Planning and Zoning Commission shall prepare and adopt, and may amend from time to time, the master plan for the physical development of the City. No such master plan, or any amendment thereto, shall become effective until approved by the City Council.
- The Planning and Zoning Commission shall hold the initial hearings relative to proposed subdivision plats, proposed re zonings, and such other matters as are established by ordinance, and shall make recommendations thereon to the Council.
- Except as otherwise provided by Charter or by ordinance, the Planning and Zoning Commission shall have the powers, perform the functions, and follow the procedures, as set forth in the State statutes.
- Board of Adjustment The Board of Adjustment and Appeals consists five (5) members appointed by the Council. The members shall be appointed for three (3) year overlapping terms.
- The Board of Adjustment and Appeals shall have power to hear and determine appeals from refusals of building permits, subject to such limitations and requirements as are established by ordinance.
- The Board shall have the power to make exceptions to the terms of the zoning regulations, in harmony with their general purpose and intent, subject to such limitations and requirements as are established by ordinance, and to authorize variances from the strict application of the zoning regulations in such situations, subject to such limitations and requirements as are established by ordinance.
- Police Advisory Board The Police Advisory Board is a five-member board appointed by City Council. The members are appointed for three (3) year overlapping terms.
- The Board provides recommendations to Council and the Police Chief on law enforcement-related matters. They receive and provide recommendations on Police Department related citizen complaints, subject to requirements and limitations established by ordinance.
- Liquor License Board The Local Liquor Licensing Authority is a five-member board appointed by City Council. The members are appointed for three (3) overlapping terms.
- They have the power to grant, deny, suspend, or revoke licenses for the retail sale of liquor and malt beverages, based on requirements established by State statutes and additional requirements established by ordinance.
Dacono Residents are the Heart and Soul of Our Community
As a resident of Dacono you have the ability to make a difference today and shape the future of our community. Volunteering for a board or commission is an opportunity to make a real and lasting difference. We hope you consider submitting an application to volunteer!